Flights, hotels and sightseeing are all booked and you’re ready to leave… or are you? Have you checked into your flights, paid your bills, or cleaned up your house? What you do before you go on vacation can help make your trip more carefree and your return home a little more relaxing.
Follow our 10 tips below to ensure your time away from home is perfect. Trust us, these simple tips will help ensure you are prepared before you go on vacation!
10 things to do before you leave for your vacation
- Clean out your wallet – Do you really need your loyalty card while you are wandering Paris? Probably not. Remove everything you won’t need from your wallet before you leave the country. It will make your wallet a little lighter and you won’t lose it while you are away.
- Charge all electronics – There’s nothing worse than getting on your flight to London and not having music, books or movies. Charge everything before you leave home and pack your chargers in your carry-on.
- Make copies of everything – Get copies of your passport, itinerary, visa, etc. Send your itinerary to someone you trust before you leave.
- Download ebooks, music, movies, games, etc. – Not every country has the best Wi-Fi, so use your time at home to download those movies you want to watch on the flight before you leave.
- Check into your flights and double check your departure times – 24 hours before your 1st departure flight go to the airline’s website and check in, if possible. This tells the airlines you will be coming and sitting in that seat. While you are doing that, double check the departure time! Sometimes airlines change the departure times on you, so it’s always a good call to double check. Remember: Arrive to the airport at least 3 hours prior to your departure time.
- Pay your bills – Pay any bills that will be due while you are away, or put everything on auto pay for your vacation. You don’t want to come home to late fees.
- Inform your banks – Tell your banks where and when you will be traveling, this way you don’t get your card shut down while you are out eating that fancy dinner you deserve.
- Pause your mail – Don’t come home to a huge stack of mail in your mailbox, pause everything through your local post office.
- Prep your house – Do a little extra work before you leave: clean out the fridge, take out the garbage, unplug and turn off electronics, water the plants, pick up the floors, turn off the water, and make the bed. You’ll appreciate it when you come back and you’ll save extra money while you are gone!
- Pack – Start getting ready for your vacation by packing your bags. Use this handy checklist to help ensure you don’t forget anything. Remember: Carry-on liquids must be 3.4oz or less and you can only bring 1 quart size baggie and all checked bag must be under 50 pounds.
Now you’re ready for your vacation. Go on and enjoy yourself, you deserve it!