Fitness is a large part of many people’s lives. Today a large number of people are wearing watches to count their steps, tracking their daily food and water intake in an app, and exercising at least once a day. When you travel, these routines can be paused, or worse – discontinued. However, that doesn’t have to be the case for you. Here are some tips for staying healthy while traveling.
8 tips for staying healthy while you travel the globe
- Stay extra hydrated – Vacations are all about having fun, and for some that can mean drinking a little more than normal. Alcohol, sun, and jet lag can easily dehydrated you. So be sure you’re getting enough water. Carry a water bottle with you; as long as it’s empty, you can bring it through security at the airport. While traveling, be mindful of what you are drinking. In some countries you only want to drink bottled or boiled water, and you should be aware of where to avoid ice. Be sure to do some research before traveling to ensure you understand whether the water is safe to drink.
- Explore everything by foot – You’re in a new area and want to see it all. Explore by foot – you’ll burn more calories. Not only will you get exercise, but you’ll also get to see everything without barriers, rather than through a car or bus window. Wanderwithjo has other suggestions about staying fit that go beyond walking. Check her out for swimming, biking, and more fit tips here.
- Be mindful of what you eat – We know you want to try all the delicious food while you’re traveling. We get it, we do too! Just be mindful of what you are eating. For instance, try a local restaurant instead of the “all you can eat” breakfast buffet offered at your hotel.
- Pack your own healthy travel snacks – Flying and wandering new cities can make a person hungry. Instead of eating airport or airplane food, pack healthy snack options to take with you. Consider snacking options like: granola bars, homemade trail mixes, celery, carrots, etc. So when you’re on the go, you can pull out healthy snack options. Just make sure when you’re packing liquid foods, that it’s under 3 oz.
- Stick to some of your normal routine – Traveling can throw off normal daily routine, but you don’t have to change everything. Keep a few of your must-haves, like taking your vitamins, doing your daily skin care routine, etc. Make sure you take time to relax and enjoy your vacation, while still keeping your physical and mental health in check. You’re important – don’t just stop taking care of yourself, even if you are relaxing on vacation!
- Wash your hands – This one is really simple, and you likely do this all the time at home, but it’s easy to forget while traveling. Any time that you touch something others have touched, remember to wash your hands or use a hand sanitizer before touching your eyes, nose or mouth to avoid getting sick during or after your trip. While you are at the airport, on the plane, waiting for a bus, or holding hand rails – numerous people have touched them.
- Get enough sleep – Sleep is a huge factor in staying healthy. While you are traveling, it can be hard to get sleep in an unfamiliar place. Doing little things like packing an eye mask, a familiar shirt, or a blanket helps bring a little comfort of home to your hotel room. Walking the city and seeing everything by foot should also tire you out!
- Have fun – Traveling is about experiencing new places and cultures. Although eating healthy is good, make sure to enjoy the little things too, like splurging on that extra scoop of gelato. Do stuff that makes you happy and enjoy yourself abroad!
Don’t use your fitness routine as an excuse to not travel. It’s possible to stay fit anywhere. Start planning your next adventure now. Head over to our site to create a vacation you’ll remember forever.
We want to hear from you! Share with us your tips for staying healthy while traveling! Comment below.